POSITION TITLE: Payroll Specialist
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Payroll and Employee Benefits
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 250 Days with benefits as specified in employee contract.
LOCATIONS: Service Center
BEGINNING: November 2020
- Accounting or related business degree preferred.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Use of a 10-key calculator by touch; accuracy with numbers.
- Dependable and deadline driven.
- Detail oriented person with strong organizational and effective interpersonal skills.
- Excellent work ethic, exceptional organizational prowess and the ability to perform repetitive tasks with minimal errors.
- Payroll and benefits experience preferred.
- Share the responsibility for the processing of payroll and absences of all employees for each pay period.
- Process the payroll within APSCN, including setting up payroll files & printing of employee pay, updating records regarding employee absences, entering & verifying manual time card entries and preparing annual employment contracts.
- Engage and support employees by processing new hire paperwork, coordinating various insurance benefit claims. administering of open enrollment for various insurance benefits, and presenting at employee workshops.
- Process all payroll changes prepared by the Human Resource Department, including adding and terminating employees, monitoring and editing employee absences and changing job class, locations & additional duties.
- Prepare and reconcile (in Excel spreadsheets) payroll related payments for annuities, child support garnishments and other items withheld from employee payments, including the processing of payments withheld to third party entities.
- Coordinate and process all Workman’s Compensation (WC) insurance policies and premiums, including the administration of WC insurance claims, reconciling claims to employee records and training district personnel on the procedures/paperwork necessary for all WC related accidents.
- Provide answers and referrals to employees with questions regarding all payroll related items (such as retirement, taxes & insurance amounts withheld).
- Perform other duties as assigned, including the cross training within the department.
- Maintain emotional control under stress.
- Answer phone, receive messages, and respond to inquiries by staff, parents, or patrons of the district.
- Work with administrators.
- Attend meetings/trainings as required.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Must have the ability to lift at least 40 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to endure prolonged standing, walking, sitting, kneeling, occasional reaching above the head or the shoulders, bending, and squatting.
- Present and communicate in a professional manner.