Oak View Group, is a full-service venue management and event programming company that operates and books arenas, theaters, convention centers, and amphitheaters throughout the U.S. delivering customized management plans for each of their venues. OVG specializes in event programming, booking services, and creating unique experiences that focus on providing premium content to enhance the guest’s experience.
OVG360, a division of OVG is looking for an industry wise and well-rounded General Manager for the Fort Smith Convention Center. The convention center boasts 116,800 square feet of flexible meeting space. The Fort Smith Convention Center hosts a variety of events, including conventions, conferences, meetings, tradeshows, consumer shows, special events, banquets, theater productions and other social events.
The General Manager is responsible for overall management, promotion, and operation of the facility, including construction, purchasing, policy formulation, booking, marketing, finance, food and beverage, box office, advertising, security, production, maintenance, and related operations. Give direction to each department, as needed, through each department’s director.
Responsibilities of this Position:
- Maintains active contact with the Client/Contract Administrator and ensures compliance with all provisions of the services contract.
- Aggressively promotes the use of the facility to maximize its utilization.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the Client/Contract Administrator, boards, tenants, government departments and agencies, entertainment/convention industry, community and civic organizations to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: matters of training and development; quality assurance; energy efficiency; safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as needed.
- Develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the management contract, the Client's objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility.
- Assists and coordinates with the development of the annual operating calendar, activity schedules, projections for attendance and/or revenue.
- Negotiates lease agreements as determined necessary and in the best interests of the facility.
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with promoters, event organizers, hosts, managers and agents.
- Conducts weekly staff meetings
- Directs the development and administers the execution of operating and marketing plans, financial plans and documents; to include, operating revenue and expense budgets; capital expense plans and budgets.
- Provides guidance of day-to-day operations; assuring the coordination of plans, programs and events; conducts post-event operational and financial review and analysis.
- Provides final approval of all contracts and agreements with suppliers, promoters, and leseesfor necessary activities and services at the Convention Center.
- Oversees and advises Human Resources on any necessary modifications to the staffing plans, including number and types of employees, essential functions, salaries, and benefits.
- Assures the administration of personnel and the operation of plant and facilities are conducted in accordance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Evaluates facility practices and recommends improvements to better reflect the needs of the Client and the facility, and/or to improve the efficiency and safety of operations, in compliance with policies and procedures.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, supervising, and evaluating administrative and supervisory staff.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the employees, union representatives, community, and the general public.
- Manages and coaches Directors and Managers who supervise employees in the Finance, Marketing, Operations, Sales, Food & Beverage Departments, or other facility departments. Responsible for shaping the overall culture, direction, coordination, and evaluation of the team and facility. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training, and coaching employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Minimum 5+ years of venue management in a convention center or other similar facility
- Strong leader and with excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information is required
- Ability to work simultaneously with a broad variety of vested interest groups and to foster a cooperative environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices used in the successful management of convention facilities of a similar description
- Ability to anticipate problems and implement immediate corrective action
- Ability to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the hospitality industry
- Significant knowledge of event solicitation and presentation, public relations, advertising and media relations and event planning
- Considerable knowledge of safety regulations and other federal, state or local laws and regulations
- Strong emphasis towards hospitality/customer service for the meeting, convention and entertainment industry
- Knowledge of facility operating standards, building maintenance, custodial, personnel and office management
- Solid and effective supervisory skills. Ability to deal effectively with human resource and personnel problems; to deal constructively with conflict; to motivate, provide counsel and execute applicable solutions
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent work experiences
- Proficiency with data processing and MS Office applications
- Ability to work nights, all events, weekends, and holidays as required
Strengthened by our Differences. United to Make a Difference.
At OVG, we understand that to continue positively disrupting the sports and live entertainment industry, we need a diverse team to help us do it. We also believe that inclusivity drives innovation, strengthens our people, improves our service, and raises our excellence. Our success is rooted in creating environments that reflect and celebrate the diverse communities in which we operate and serve, and this is the reason we are committed to amplifying voices from all different backgrounds.
We are committed to ensuring all our buildings and office locations are the safest in the world for artists, teams, employees, and fans. Based on recent encouraging trends in the U.S. and Canada. We highly encourage our employees to continue to get vaccinate and boosted against COVID-19. Should circumstances change, we may need to reinstate vaccination requirements, in whole or in part, to safeguard the health of our employees, guests, performers, athletes, and partners.
Oak View Group is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis (“protected class”) including, but not limited to veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.