Junior Leadership Academy - 2017-2018
Name: Junior Leadership Academy - 2017-2018
Date: January 2, 2017 - March 8, 2018
2017-18 Junior Leadership Academy
The Junior Leadership Academy (JLA) was created by the Fort Smith Regional Chamber of Commerce and is supported by the regional business community. JLA is a program for students whom desire the opportunity to learn more about Fort Smith and the opportunities available in our city. Students will meet community leaders from area businesses, government agencies, and civic organizations. Students will be introduced into an environment designed to enhance and develop their leadership skills which will benefit them throughout the rest of their life. Applications are available for those that are CURRENTLY in their Sophomore year with the program beginning the 2017-2018 school year (JUNIOR YEAR).
- Be a member of the 2016-17 Sophomore class at a Sebastian County High School (Public & Private).
- Demonstrate leadership and/or desire to gain strong leadership skills
- A desire to improve his/her school and community
- Have an interest in furthering his/her knowledge about Fort Smith and community leadership
- Commit to FULL PARTICIPATION in the Junior Leadership Academy program
- Pay the $25.00 Program Fee. The remaining $250.00 will be paid by area businesses.
The JLA selection committee will be the Leadership Fort Smith Advisory committee. Up to thirty applicants will be selected. Committee representatives maintain an active role during the duration of the program. **Note - the Fort Smith Regional Chamber of Commerce is not part of the selection committee.
Applications will be thoroughly reviewed. Selection criteria include:
- Commitment to personal growth
- Commitment and motivation to serve the community through volunteer work
- Personal commitment to improving the community environment to favorably impact the development and quality of the community
- Strength of recommendations
- GPA of at least 2.0
- Reliable attendance history in school
- Desire to be successful
The Junior Leadership Academy is looking for a very diverse class. Every student is encouraged to apply!
Dates & Deadlines
Application deadline for the 2017-2018 year is March 3, 2017.
Applications can be:
- Emailed to email@example.com
- Mailed or delivered to:
Attention: Debra Young
612 Garrison Avenue
Fort Smith, AR 72903
- Turned into school counselor
Applicants will go through an interview process. Times and location to be determined.
Once the new class is selected a New Class Reception/Orientation will be held for participants and their families to explain more details about the program.
We are currently securing sponsorships for the upcoming 2017-2018 Junior Leadership Academy. If you are interested in being a part of this exciting program please contact Debra Young at 479-783-3111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.